Infertility is defined as a couple’s inability to become pregnant, within one year of unprotected intercourse. Approximately 15% of couples are infertile.
In female factor infertility 60 to 70 % of females have ovulatory dysfunction. Number of drugs and hormones are used to produce ovulation.
- Many ovulation inducing drugs like clomphene citrate or Letrozole are used to produce ovulation.
- If the patients have Hypothyrodism, elevated prolactin levels, drugs like Thyroxine or Bromocriptine are used to correct the hormones.
- Drugs like follicle stimulating hormones, lutinizing hormones, human chorionic gonadotrophins are used in combined ovarian hyper stimulation before IUI, IVF cycles.
Indication for Hormonal Treatments:
- To induce ovulation in women who do not ovulate on their own or ovulate irregularly(anovulation or oligoovulation)Gonado morphins are given in this group with a goal of stimulating development of a single follicle and ovulation of a single egg.
- For women who do ovulate, but who are having trouble in conceiving(unexplained infertility) who need more then one follicle to improve the chance of pregnancy.
- For women undergoing assisted reproductive technologies such as Intra uterine insemination or In vitro fertilization who need multiple follicular development, so Hormones are used.